Hired’s Office Administration participant (top picture) went from low level Microsoft Office skills, to working with Hired’s CTEP member (bottom picture), passing NorthStar Digital Literacy assessments, and using her skills in her daily life. For this individual, learning how to navigate an internet browser changed her experience with computers. She will continue to use these skills to aid in her job search and facilitate more exploration of computer skills.
CTEP Program Description
The AmeriCorps Community Technology Empowerment Project (CTEP) bridges the “digital divide” for new Immigrants and low-income communities in Minneapolis and St. Paul. CTEP is a program of Saint Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN).
Site History and Mission
Since 1968, Hired has provided individualized employment and career services. We believe every person is one good job away from a stable and promising future. Through assessment, training, coaching and supportive services, we help people age 16+ to connect their dreams, skills, and talents with jobs that will sustain them and their families.
Hired specializes in supporting individuals whose employment opportunities have been shaped by historic and systemic inequities and situational barriers. We strive to provide coaching and skill-building opportunities at every step of an individual’s journey while helping them stabilize by meeting their basic needs and navigating systems of support. Through these efforts, we believe we will ultimately enable them to provide for their families, advance in their career, and pursue their purpose.
Hired is a nonprofit organization that works with other organizations and across sectors for systems change. Our partners include 160+ nonprofit organizations and 60+ employers whose workforce gaps we help fill.
Our values are:
- Putting People First
- Going the Extra Mile
- Advancing Equity
- Working Together
Hired’s Career Pathways Training Programs, the focus of this application, is designed to move disadvantaged individuals into high-growth, career pathways with self-sustaining wages. These programs have proved successful for hundreds of low-income job seekers in earning industry-recognized credentials that serve to enhance career development efforts.
Preferred Site Schedule for Member
The expected weekly schedule of this position will total approximately 35 hours per week throughout the duration of the year. Some flexibility with scheduling is possible.
In addition, members attend professional development days with their fellow CTEP members to enhance service-readiness skills, personal attributes at the service site, and citizenship skills. These Corps days take place twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Fridays from 9 AM to 4 PM, and these trainings are mandatory. Members also attend statewide AmeriCorps events, such as the Martin Luther King Day celebration, and/or serve on the statewide InterCorps Council.
Specific Site Responsibilities
The Member will serve in a training and recruitment role within Hired’s Career Pathway Job Training Programs. Specifically, the member will be responsible for leading digital literacy training at Hired’s Eastside office. The essential functions of the Member include outreach and recruitment, assessment, delivery of training, and classroom management. Further descriptions of these functions are provided below:
Outreach and Recruitment
- Recruit class participants from appropriate sources for class sessions
- Participate in development of recruiting materials and training materials
- Ensure eligibility of referred participants through formal and informal inquiry and screening
- Assist with enrollment procedures
- Administer appropriate assessment and screening tools per program requirements or guidelines
- Proctor NorthStar Digital Literacy modules
Delivery of Training
- Under supervision of Sr. Trainer and/or Program Manager adapt curriculum and/or daily lesson plans to meet the needs of program participants, delivering materials in a meaningful way
- Maintain learning progress to ensure all topics are covered within the class timeframe
- Adapt teaching style/techniques to accommodate individual learning needs or situations
- Assist participants to define and achieve appropriate occupational goals
- Maintain a safe, positive, rigorous classroom learning environment.
- Create an environment of respect and rapport with and between participants
- Establish a culture for learning
To fulfill the objective of this role, the Member will need the following skills and abilities:
- Skill in written and oral communication
- Proficiency with website and social media tools
- Ability to develop training modules in a virtual setting
- Ability to work effectively with others and Independently as a self-starter
- Skill in teaching/coaching techniques
- Efficient organizational and planning skills
- Effective time management and ability to prioritize work
- Ability and willingness to respond constructively to rapid change
- Ability to lead by example and to mentor and guide others
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experience with Windows Operating system, MS office 365 programs and Chrome with Google Suite/Apps understanding
Hired’s office space is at 800 Minnehaha Avenue East in East St. Paul and provides access to public transportation via bus line. The office space has an area for participant intake, computer lab, and training room. The Member will have access to general office equipment, including telephones, computers, copiers, and fax machines.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://my.americorps.gov/ and click on “Apply to Serve”. Be sure to search for the “Community Technology Empowerment Project” or “CTEP” when asked to indicate what program you would like to send your application to. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 651.298.8919 for more information about CTEP Member requirements.
CTEP AmeriCorps values an equitable work environment and strongly encourages Black, Indigenous and people of color, speakers of many languages, disabled individuals, LGBTQIA+ identified, and people from other underrepresented communities to apply.
Reasonable accommodations will be made upon request.