CTEP Program Description
The AmeriCorps Community Technology Empowerment Project (CTEP) bridges the “digital divide” for new Immigrants and low-income communities in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Join AmeriCorps CTEP and help make the information age accessible to all. CTEP is a project of Saint Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN).
Site History and Mission
HIRED's mission is to nurture purpose and advance economic opportunity for all through individualized employment and career services. Our goal is to bridge the economic divide by offering services that meet personal and financial needs, and helps people to transition from public assistance into a job with career laddering opportunities and family sustainable wages.
HIRED achieves its goal by:
• Helping people remove barriers to their employability;
• Preparing workers for sustainable employment through educational support, job training and/or skills development programs;
• Connecting jobseekers to employment opportunities with the guidance of dedicated employment counselors; and
• Collaborating with the business community to align labor market needs with jobseeker skills.
Job seekers differ in their financial, educational, personal, and family needs, so HIRED offers a variety of specialized employment and training initiatives, which include Adult Workforce Development Programs, Dislocated Worker Programs, Sector-Based Job Training Programs, Welfare-to-Work Programs, and Youth Programs. These programs focus on providing one-to-one employment counseling and job training assistance to help connect people to stable career pathways, and during our last fiscal year, nearly 7,000 people received employment assistance.
HIRED’s Career Pathway Job Training Programs, the focus of this application, is designed to move disadvantaged individuals into high-growth, career pathways with self-sustaining wages. Industry sectors include health care, manufacturing, construction, safety/dispatch, transportation and administrative careers. These programs have proved successful for hundreds of low-income job seekers as all assist job seekers in earning industry-recognized credentials that serve to enhance career development efforts. During our last fiscal year alone, 382 people enrolled in our Career Pathway Job Training Programs.
Preferred Site Schedule for Member
The expected weekly schedule of this position will total approximately 35 hours per week throughout the duration of the year. Some flexibility with scheduling is possible.
In addition, members attend professional development days with their fellow CTEP members to enhance service-readiness skills, personal attributes at the service site, and citizenship skills. These Corps days take place twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Fridays from 9 AM to 4 PM, and these trainings are mandatory. Members also attend statewide AmeriCorps events, such as the Martin Luther King Day celebration, and/or serve on the statewide InterCorps Council.
Specific Site Responsibilities
The member will serve in a training and proctoring role within HIRED's Career Pathways Job Training Programs, as well as helping in the eligibility screening and preparation for entering a job training program. Specifically, the member will be responsible for leading digital literacy training at HIRED's North Loop office for low-income youth and adults. The essential functions of the member include outreach and recruitment, assessment, delivery of training, classroom management, and digital literacy instruction/assistance 1:1 with participants. Further descriptions of these functions are provided below:
Outreach and Recruitment
• Recruit class participants from appropriate sources for class sessions
• Participate in development of recruiting materials
• Ensure eligibility of referred participants through formal and informal inquiry and screening
• Assist with enrollment procedures
• Conduct appropriate classroom assessments needed for programming
• Administer appropriate assessment and screening tools per program requirements or guidelines
• Proctoring NorthStar Digital Literacy modules
Delivery of Training
• Under supervision of Project Manager adapt curriculum and/or daily lesson plans to meet the needs of program participants, delivering materials in a meaningful way
• Maintain learning progress to ensure all topics are covered within the class timeframe
• Adapt teaching style/techniques to accommodate individual learning needs or situations
• Assist participants to define and achieve appropriate occupational goals
• Maintain a safe, positive, rigorous classroom learning environment
• Create an environment of respect and rapport with and between participants
• Establish a culture for learning
To fulfill the objective of this role, the Member will need the following skills and abilities:
• Skill in written and oral communication
• Ability to work effectively with others and independently as a self-starter
• Skill in teaching/coaching techniques
• Efficient organizational and planning skills
• Effective time management and ability to prioritize work
• Ability and willingness to respond constructively to rapid change
• Ability to lead by example and to mentor and guide others
• Excellent presentation skills
• Experience with Windows Operating system and MS Office programs
• Proficiency with website and social media tools
HIRED's main office is located on Washington Avenue which provides convenient access to public transportation, including bus lines and the light rail. The position that the Members would hold does not require the use of a personal vehicle for travel.
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov and click on “Apply to Serve” (be sure to search for the “Community Technology Empowerment Project” or “CTEP” when asked to indicate what program you would like to send your application to). Contact: Joel Krogstad, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651.298.8918
We are committed to recruiting and engaging individuals without regard to disability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations will be made upon request. Alternative formats of this document are also available.