Project for Pride in Living (Learning Center)
CTEP Program Description
The AmeriCorps Community Technology Empowerment Project (CTEP) bridges the “digital divide” for new Immigrants and low-income communities in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Join AmeriCorps CTEP and help make the information age accessible to all. CTEP is a project of Saint Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN).
Site History and Mission
Work as part of a team at the PPL Learning Center, serving a diverse population of participants who have barriers to employment and education. Assist people 1:1 in an open lab setting with their job search and education needs, facilitate basic and intermediate level computer workshops, update and develop new curriculum, help pilot new employment and education programming within PPL residential services, and assist with digital inclusion initiatives.
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. Our mission: PPL builds the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services. PPL began as an affordable housing developer in 1972, and has since become a robust multi-service agency that today serves more than 13,000 low-income people annually.
Preferred Site Schedule for Member
Work Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 AM and 4:30pm.
In addition, members attend professional development days with their fellow CTEP members to enhance service-readiness skills, personal attributes at the service site, and citizenship skills. These Corps days take place twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Fridays from 9 AM to 4 PM, and these trainings are mandatory. Members also attend statewide AmeriCorps events, such as the Martin Luther King Day celebration, and/or serve on the statewide InterCorps Council.
Specific Site Responsibilities
All PPL members will:
- Help provide a friendly, welcoming and learning environment for participants in the PPL Learning Center computer lab.
- Provide 1:1 assistance to participants by helping with job search, filling out on-line job applications, resume and cover letter development and setting-up e-mail accounts as well as scheduling 1:1 appointments to answer their computer questions.
- Facilitate 2-hour computer workshops to adults on topics such as basic computer use, email, Internet, Word, Excel, PPT, and Google Drive.
- Train and supervise volunteers in the computer lab
- Help manage the daily operations of the computer lab and assist with program tracking and evaluation
- Create and update computer curriculum and community resource materials
The following responsibilities will be divided between the CTEP AmeriCorps members at PPL based on skills and interest:
- Teach computer lessons imbedded in 2-5 week job training classes
- Implement outreach efforts to market Learning Center programs to community members
- Assist with new employment and education program development within PPL residential services
Members work as part of a team, as well as individually and partner with staff in multiple PPL programs. Members office at the PPL Learning Center located in the Phillips neighborhood serving a diverse population of adults. Member will have opportunities to travel to other PPL sites or community organizations. Member has $150 available to use throughout the year for professional development opportunities. Member will use Office 365, PC computer, printer, projector and fax in their job.
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov and click on “Apply to Serve” (be sure to search for the “Community Technology Empowerment Project” or “CTEP” when asked to indicate what program you would like to send your application to). Contact: Joel Krogstad, email@example.com, 651.298.8918
We are committed to recruiting and engaging individuals without regard to disability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations will be made upon request. Alternative formats of this document are also available.