Doc U 2019 Application
About Doc U
The power of the documentary film is its ability to shine a spotlight on issues, stories, and perspectives that would otherwise go unheard and thus unnoticed. You will learn how to produce, shoot and edit a 5-minute digital documentary in this intensive mentorship program for low-income adults. In 16 weeks, learn to shape a story, conduct interviews, the basics of camera operation and non-linear editing through classes, workshops and mentorship. At the end of the program you will have completed a short-form documentary on the topic of your interest.
You must be able to attend all classes to participate in the program. Required meeting days are Mondays 6-9PM May 6th - August 19th and the community screening on Saturday, August 17th from 1:30-5:00PM. There will also be a recommended event on Saturday, June 1st.
Qualifications for Doc U
Film: You must have an original idea for a short documentary.
Capacity: You must want mentorship from SPNN staff and visiting artists. You must also be able to meet all program dates.
Age: You must be 18 or older to be a part of this program.
You must also meet at least one of the following two criteria:
- Income: You must be working class or low income (enrolled in a State or Federal assistance program or make no more than 150% of the poverty line. A chart can be found here.) You must provide proof of your income eligibility at the time of interview.
- Background: You must be a member of a community that has been historically underrepresented in media.
Use of data
• To help us determine eligibility for the program.
• We may use it to prepare required reports, conduct audits, and evaluation.
• Staff may share this information for purposes of performing their official duties and with funding agencies if requested.
• You are not required by law to provide this information. If you choose not to provide this information, we may not know whether you are eligible for the program.
• Providing false information can lead to removal from the program.
The application will take approximently 30 minutes to complete.